JMR stock and supply
ancillary lead products...
- Helps prevent run-off staining.
- Gives a pleasing finish to leadwork.
- Economical and easy use.
In damp conditions, untreated lead sheet will quickly generate a white carbonate layer, which rainfall will frequently transfer to neighbouring slates, tiles or brickwork, causing unsightly stains.
Premium Patination Oil is an alkyd resin based liquid which, when applied to lead sheet, provides a permeable coating through which the metal surface will oxidise at a controlled rate. Over time this oxised layer develops into uniform dull grey adherent patina. This patina is stable, pleasing in appearance and replaces the protection initially supplied by the Patination Oil.
Premium Patination Oil should be applied to all visible lead sheet surfaces, especially where rain water from these surfaces will run over other exposed building materials. It is recommended that hidden surfaces, past which rain water may flow e.g. behind lead motifs and clips, should also be treated with Patination Oil before installation.
This oil should be applied to new leadwork before the end of the day of installation (preferably out of direct sunlight), before the unsightly carbonate has a chance to form.
If the lead surface becomes wet before Patination Oil is applied, make sure that it is thoroughly dried before you start work. Water trapped below the Patination Oil layer can give rise to unsightly oxidation products, which are impossible to remove without first stripping away the Patination Oil.
ADVICE ON USE
- Shake the container vigorously for about 2 minutes before use.
- Apply one coat only to the lead surface with a soft, clean cloth.
- Work across the lead surface, applying the Patination Oil from top to bottom of the installation, in straight, vertical lines. Don’t apply in a circular motion as this will leave an uneven appearance.
- Remember to apply oil to the underside of the leading edges of leadwork and to cover lead clips and fixings.
- Leave for at least one hour to dry. Close the container tightly on completion of work.
Small tins – 0.5 litre each – 10 tins per box
Medium tins – 1.0 litre each – 10 tins per box
Large tins – 2.5 litre each – 4 tins per box
Keep out of the reach of children.
HEALTH & SAFETY ADVICE
- Use only in well ventilated areas, away from naked flames and sources of ignition.
- Wear suitable rubber gloves as repeated exposure to the product may cause skin dryness and cracking.
- The product contains ethyl methyl ketoxime and may cause an allergic reaction.
- Dispose of any residual product and container as hazardous waste.
- When working with lead, follow standard health and safety procedures as laid out in Control of Lead at Work Regulations 2002. Always wash hands well before eating, drinking or smoking.
- Remove lead residues from skin after working with lead metal by washing with Premium Metwash – Soap and Bodywash.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION AND PROPERTIES
Composition: A mixture of white spirit, naptha, soya alkyd resin, silica and metallic soaps.
Appearance: Pale amber liquid
Flash Point: 37°C
Specific Gravity: 0.9 (approximately) at 20°C
Coverage: Approximately 60 m2 per litre